Monday, October 24, 2011

Learning the Language


A huge part of the reason I chose to come to Spain was to improve my proficiency in the language.  I have been studying Spanish for nearly 5 years now and I’m anxious to gain fluency. At Portland State I am studying to become a Speech Therapist. I love language and learning everything about it. A large part of my degree involves studying the science of language and the process of acquiring it. I would love to be able to apply this knowledge to Spanish as well.

From the moment I started studying Spanish I tried my very best to pack as much information in my brain as possible. I’ve made flash cards, songs, and acronyms to retain as much of the language as I could. I did well on tests and papers. I loved reading literature and analyzing the language as best I could. I was sure that I was ready to move somewhere where I could use this skill in my daily life.

Arriving in Spain I knew it would take me a while to get use to everything. I didn’t expect to be able to communicate fluently, and I definitely wasn’t able to. My approach to learning language was to memorize information and acquire knowledge. My problem was that I never really put my knowledge into practice outside of an academic setting. This became very apparent when I would talk with my family, Spanish students, locals on the street, or sometimes even waiters in a restaurant. I could talk for hours about literature and linguistics but this didn’t mean that I knew the Spanish language.

My original strategy on learning the Spanish language helped me with my academic career, of course. Now I was going about my day surrounded by the language. I realized I knew a lot about the language but to really know the language itself I had to live it. I had to ask questions, learn new vocabulary, and above all practice as much as I possible could. I had to change the way I approached getting better at Spanish.

Now, I have obtained a better understanding of the balance and attitude I must have towards learning the language. When I’m with my friends who speak English, I continue speaking Spanish. When I don’t understand a word in a conversation, I speak up and ask so that I can increase my vocabulary. I’ve progressed away from my textbooks and towards daily life in a Spanish speaking country.

Here is a picture of me and another american girl with two of our Spanish friends.


How do you best learn? Do you prefer to practice or do things? Or would you rather observe and try to understand? Why do you think that is?

16 comments:

  1. I think I learn best when I learn something and then put into practice in the real world. If I don't understand something like a instruction i benefit from someone showing me how to do the step. Kind of like my dog. She's really smart but she has to do it herself without you telling her first, and she has to do it everyday for her to actually learn it. I think I learn like that because to actually remember it I have to do it over and over again and use it every day.
    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Jordan

    i like your picture
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i could be a fast learner like you

    -william

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jordan!
    I learn social studies pretty easy because I can remember dates. But my favorite thing to do at the moment is writing poetry. I write poetry almost everyday. If you have an email, i could send you some of them.
    Adios!
    Lili

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo tambien tenia un tiempo cuando fui a españa cuando no pudriera hablar muy bien pero ahora cuando me practique cada dia soy un bien hablador de español

    sinceramente helazo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jordan,
    I love your picture. It looks really pretty and nice. Also it looks like you are having a lot of fun and enjoying your time there. It looks like you are all very close and very good friends. ¡This summer i get to go to Spain!
    It is going to be so fun and now i know more about Spain so when i go it will be more exciting.


    Did you mean: Hi Jordan, I love your picture
    Type text or a website address or translate a document.
    Cancel
    English to Spanish translation
    Spanish
    English
    Arabic
    Hola Jordan,
    Me encanta la foto. Se ve muy bonito y agradable. También parece que tiene un montón de diversión y disfrutar de su tiempo allí. Parece que están muy cerca y muy buenos amigos. ¡Este verano me sale para ir a España!
    Va a ser muy divertido y ahora sé más sobre España así que cuando vaya será más emocionante.

    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jordan,
    I love your picture. It looks like you're having a lot of fun! I've always wanted to go to Mexico or something where everyone speeks spanish so that I can put my spanish skills to the test. Even though I have been studing spanish for 9 years now, I still don't think I am fluent. I prefer to observe and try to understand tings more than practicing. I don't know why.
    -Leilani

    Hola Jordan,
    Me encanta tu foto. Parece que tienes un montón de diversión! Siempre he querido ir a México o algo donde todo el mundo habla español para que yo pueda poner mi nivel de español a la prueba. A pesar de que he estado estudiando español durante 9 años, yo todavía no creo que sea fluida. Prefiero observar y tratar de entender más de la práctica . No sé porque.
    -Leilani

    ReplyDelete
  8. Creo que tienes buenas estrategias, yo no soy muy buena para memorizar algo almenos que lo vea visualmente. Tienes suerte que seas muy rapida para aprender.
    -Lizbeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jordan I really like your picture. Barcelona seems like a really nice place to visit. When I grow up I want to go travel all over Europe.I rather observe and try to understand then study or practice.
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LEARN BEST WHEN I'M INVOLVED IN A GROUP AND ITS A HANDS-ON PROJECT.I PREFER TO DO THINGS BUT IF I DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THAT I WILL PRACTICE. I LIKE TO OBSERVE AND UNDERSTAND THINGS, BECAUSE I AM ACTIVE.
    -tANNER

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hola Jordan
    yo aprendo cuando me dicen las cosas y tambien cuando las hago. siempre he sido asi. aprendo rapidamente.

    --miguel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jordan. I learn best when i'm doing things in a group because its more fun and easier to work in a group, rather than by myself. I prefer to practice because then i can know what is going on when i actually do them.
    -Tre

    ReplyDelete
  13. I best learn by practicing, and practicing and practicing. But i hate to practice. haha! I also learn best by making games out of it. Apples to Apples is a fun game to practice with. I don't like to observe and try to understand because I usually wont pay attention. i don't mean to zone out, but when im not involved, I don't focus as well.

    Aprendo mejor practicando, y practicando y practicando. Pero no me gusta la práctica. haha! También aprenden mejor haciendo juegos de él. Manzanas a manzanas es un divertido juego para practicar. No me gusta observar y tratar de entender porque yo normalmente no presta atención. No me refiero a la zona, pero cuando no estoy involucrado, no se centran bien.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that was from Muriah.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hola Jordan. Me gusto mucho tu foto. Barcelona se ve como un buen lugar para visitar. Cuando yo sea grande yo quiero viajar a todo Europa. Prefiero observar y tratar de entender la clase. En vez de estudiar o practicar.
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you have good learning strategies, im not that good when it comes to memorizing things unless i see them visually. Your Lucky your a quick learner.
    -Lizbeth

    ReplyDelete