Friday, October 7, 2011

Some Things, Like Lady Gaga, Are Just Universal I Guess..?


After having been here for six weeks I feel like I have become accustomed to the Spanish culture. I know that I will be served more meat each day than I usually have in a week. I know that on the bus, there is absolutely no concept of personal space. I know it is socially acceptable for people to stare. I know that when I make plans with someone at 7:00 that usually means they will show up at 7:20. Everything is so very different but finally I have settled into a routine. I go to school and pass the same people going to work on the streets, sit with the same students on the bus, and generally go through the same routine. I know I’m not quite a Spaniard but I was starting to think I was finished with surprises. Differences, I have come to expect.

One morning, as usual, I walked three blocks down to the corner café near my bus stop. I love this café because there is always a sense of calm and peace in the air. Usually there are two to three men sipping on their morning coffee with a piece of toast as they chat about their families and the news. Every morning I would listen to them as I reviewed my homework for my 9 am class. This morning was different.

I came a little earlier than usual because I had to finish some reading before catching the bus. I opened the door and the café was deserted. I couldn’t see anyone. All I could hear was the sound of radio stations coming in and out and finally it stopped. Lady Gaga’s “Edge of Glory” came in clear. Then suddenly… it came in LOUD and clear. Diego, the owner of the café and a mere 5’ 6” tall, had been hiding behind the counter playing with the boom box. He stood up, still not seeing me in the doorway, and started to bust some moves like I have never seen before. He moved his hips every which way and threw his hands in the air. I didn’t know what to do! Should I go? Should I stay? But before I could decide he twirled around and we locked eyes.

“Qué tal…?” I said, with a quiver in my voice.

He looked mortified! He immediately stopped dancing. I felt horrible for ruining his fun.

“Me encanta esta canción también, la tengo en mi Ipod” I told him, trying to make it a little less awkward.

When he heard this, a smile grew on his face and he waved me up to the bar. The song was still booming so I thought I would dance my way up to the counter in an effort to break the ice. He must have appreciated this because it was as though I had invited him to our own 7 am dance party. We briefly grooved for 30 seconds before he cranked on the espresso machine and started my coffee.

I had never talked to Diego for very long. I only had a comfortable routine with him that we performed nearly every morning. For some reason, I already felt like I knew him before this morning. I knew what to expect. This morning, I faced one of the most surprising of surprises. I would have never pinned 55-year-old Diego for a Lady Gaga fan. I had put him in my “stereotypical Spanish man” box. He looked the part and I had never bothered to get to know him. After our encounter, we chatted for nearly 30 minutes. I discovered a lot about Diego that I didn’t know before. I also discovered that I can’t settle down into any routine. I will never know exactly what to expect. There will always be surprises. And some things like Lady Gaga, are just universal.

Can you guys think of a situation where someone surprised you by stepping out of the character you believed him or her to be?

16 comments:

  1. HEY jORDAN! ITS tANNER. AND YES! I CAN THINK OF THAT KIND OF SITUATION. I WILL TELL YOU ABOUT SOMETHING LIKE THAT THAT HAPPENED TO ME. I WAS WALKING WITH MY BEST FRIEND, tRE. WE BOTH TOLD EACHOTHER- BEFORE THIS HAPPENED- THAT NEITHER OF US WOULD EVER PLAY SOCCER. IT WAS DURING OUR LUNCH RECESS TIME AND WE WERE GETTING BORED WITH BASKETBALL SO HE SAID " LETS PLAY SOCCER" AT FIRST I WAS TOTALLY AGAINST IT BUT THEN I CHANGED MY MIND AND THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FUN. SO , YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIVE WHAT I AM ABOUT TO SAY BUT, WE ARE BOTH ON THE SAME TEAM AND WE ARE HAVING LOTS OF FUN. SO I GUESS I SHOULD PROBABLY NEVER JUDGE ANOTHER SPORT- OR ANYTHING FOR THAT MATTER- JUST BECAUSE IT HAS THE SAME NAME AS MY NOW THIRD FAVORITE SPORT- FUTBOL AND FOOTBAL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jordan. How are you? I loved your story about Diego and Lady Gaga. Although I have never been in a situation where someone surprised like that, your's sounds very interesting.
    -Leilani

    Hola Jordan. ¿Cómo estás? Me encantó su historia de Diego y Lady Gaga. Aunque nunca he estado en una situación donde alguien sorprendido así, su suena muy interesante.
    -Leilani

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once, when i was in class, I started to sing. Everyone was talking so I diddnt think anyone was listining, but the teacher told the class to be quiet and I did not hear her. I keeped on singing and everyone heard me! It was so embarrasing!

    Una vez, cuando yo estaba en clase, me puse a cantar. Todo el mundo estaba hablando, así que creo que nadie estaba escuchando, pero el maestro le dijo a la clase que se callara y yo no la oyó. Yo estaba canto y todo el mundo me escuche! Fue tan vergonzoso!

    -Muriah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jordan, it was wonderful to hear your story about you and Diego. I have been in a situation where i have been surprised by something that someone did that was out of character. This one day, i was talking to Leilani (who is also on this blog and in my spanish class), and she is very quiet, I didn't mean to but i made her mad and she started yelling at me. I was so surprised that I started laughing because she had never yelled before in her life. After I started laughing so did she and she forgave me for making her mad.
    -Jessica

    Hola Jordan, fue maravilloso escuchar su historia sobre usted y Diego. He estado en una situación en la que me ha sorprendido por algo que alguien hizo que se fuera de carácter. Un día, yo estaba hablando con Leilani (que es también en este blog y en mi clase de español), y ella es muy tranquila, no quise hacerlo, pero me hizo enojar y ella empezó a gritarme. Yo estaba tan sorprendido que me eché a reír, porque nunca había gritado antes en su vida. Después ella empezo a reir conmigo y ella me perdonó por lo loca.

    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola Jorda! Me encanta su historía es muy chistoso. una evento como esto no occurío a mi pero yo se que van a en un tiempo en el futuro. Mis padres me viste este y tambíen ellos me gustan.
    -Tre

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola Jordan!
    Es yo, Lili. Una vez mi amiga Frances escribio en mi brazo, 'Lili is a bagel', y ahora muchos de mis amigos llamaron a yo 'Bagel'.

    Hi Jordan!
    It's me, Lili. Once, my friend Frances wrote on my arm 'Lili is a bagel', and now alot of my friends call me Bagel. I guess it just really stuck.
    Adios!
    Lili

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jordan! I loved your story it's really funny. An event like this has never occured to me yet, but im sure it will, I left the computer on and my parents saw this and they thought it was really funny also.
    -Tre

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hola Jordan, me encanto tu historia de Diego y la canción de Lady Gaga. No recuerdo un momento en lo que alguien me sorpriendo como Diego te sorprendió. A mi también me gusta esa canción de Lady Gaga.
    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hola Jordan! Tu historia es muy chistosa y me hico reir, yo no e estado en una situacion haci pero creo que seria interesante.
    - Lizbeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi jordanyour story is funny but it hasnt somthing like this has never happend....anywaaysi loved it was really really funny



    -william

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hola es helazo otra vez quria decir que yo tambin tenia un momento muy especial pero akwaaaaaaaaaard. Era cuando yo fui a un hospital para mi papa el estaba en el hospital kaiser permenente pero nosotros buscabamos el kaiser joven. Nosotros no sabiamos que el hospital kaiser joven habia sido serada por diez años.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hola Jordan a mi me paso algo similar pero con deportes. en mi escuela tenemos una mesa de ping pong. antes yo decia que aburido es este juego. pero fue hasta que yo lo jugue que me di cuenta de que es muy divertido. hoy es mi segundo deporte favorito. futbol y ping pong

    -miguel

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI Jordan

    I really liked your story it was really funny and I also love that song
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Lady Gaga so much! She's one of my idols, and she really shows people how shes not afraid of what people think of her, and she just acts like herself, and doesn't dress or act like what other people want her to dress a certain way. I admire her a lot for that because it can be very hard to be different sometimes. Sometimes you just try to blend into the crowd because you don't want people treating you for acting differently or dressing differently. I know this from things that have happened to me in the past.
    - Ana

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jordan i really like your story and the song too. I haven't been in a situation like this yet.
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hola Jordan me gusto mucho tu historia y la cancion tambien.No he estado en una situacion asi todavia.
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete