Monday, November 14, 2011

Chicos y Chicas en España

Qué tal chic@s?

Breaking news! Last night, in an effort to avoid the mountain of homework I have, I decided to roll up my sleeves and make dinner with my host mom. She asked me to come up with something different for them to try so I went to the store and picked up a few less than common ingredients. We made a delicious stir fry with tons of vegetables and.....tofu. My mom seemed to really like it but the first impression of tofu for my dad and sister.... not so much.

This week I wanted to share what I've learned about, well... boys and girls. Portland is a fairly progressive and liberal city, especially in regards to gender roles. We've come a long way from the 50's house wife family model. What I've encountered in Spain is very different from what you may find in Portland. So whats normal in Spain?

The way people dress here is much different than in Portland. Walking down the street it is almost impossible to avoid the click clack noise of 4 inch heels that a vast majority of the girls sport here.


Me and some friends going out for the night! I decided to trade in my t-shirt and beanie for a dress and some heels!


 I learned quickly that my birkenstocks were a little frumpy to wear out and about. Spanish women have a distinct demanor about them. They carry themselves with a certain elegance and pride. Rarely do I note women goofing off or laughing loudly; clearly I am not Spanish. It very common to hear countless "cat calls" like "ayyee guapa" from men to women on the street but never do you see a response. Women here keep very quiet in public especially if they don't appreciate attention. Some of my american guy friends have a hard time understanding this seemingly snobby attitude. Striking up a friendly conversation with a Spanish girl is almost always one sided. If she doesn't want to talk to you... she won't.

Spanish boys are quite interesting. I'm sure you guys are familiar with the characters from the Jersey Shore (as horrible as it is... their fame is unavoidable). Well imagine "Pauly D" or "The situation" but Spanish. Yes my friends. There are countless tight polos, faded jeans, ridiculous sun glasses, leather shoes, and the hair gel...OOHHH the hair gel!!
....I think I made my point. 


Now this doesn't cover the entire male population but its definitely the style. Like any city there are the "indie kids" or the "hippies". One thing I have never seen before that is everywhere here is the dreaded mullet. Sure we've seen mullets and we've seen dread locks. They have taken it to a new level here and created a business front with a rasta back. Despite the sometimes seemingly femenine style, men here are very masculine. They take pride in their male qualities, bringing a new meaning the the word "macho." They have no problem declaring their love or attraction to a female passerby, day or night.

Onto the dating world. Girls and boys don't socialize together as much as americans do. At home I have many close male friends but here that is much less common. In class the boys and girls are always segregated as if they each have coodies. Whenever I see the two sexes together it is almost always in a date-like setting. Spanish couples are very affectionate. PDA may be an understatement here. Almost everyone here lives with their parents until they get married. This forces any romantic practices outside the privacy of the home. You can imagine how seeing such blatant, in your face, mushy gooshy, baby talk etc.. might be a little weird for someone who is unfamiliar with this cultural norm.

Living in such a different environment in which the sexes are so segregated has been challenging for me at times. I've become accostomed to the strange looks and comments I receive when I go for an evening jog. My host mom explained to me that women don't really exercise here. I thought this was strange. She explained that it isn't very lady like to sweat in public. So I've been trying to take the scenic routes. Its been difficult to find a balance between respecting the culture while living the Spanish life style and staying true to my interests and personal beliefs about gender roles. Can you guys think of other challenges someone might face in this environment? What major social differences do you see between Alicante and Portland?

10 comments:

  1. Hi Jordan,
    It's very interesting to see how different two places can be. It must be hard for you to adapt to such differences. I think other challenges that someone else might face is the kind of food that they eat in Spain and the fashion styles.
    -Leilani

    Hola Jordan,
    Es muy interesante ver cómo dos lugares pueden ser tán diferentes. Debe ser difícil para usted adaptarse a esas diferencias. Creo que otros desafíos que alguien más podría enfrentar es el tipo de alimentos que se comen en España y los estilos de moda.
    -Leilani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Jordan!
    Oh wow, Alicante is so... weird!!!! And this is coming from a Portland native. Anyway, Portland isnt very segregated when it comes to the sexes. I have guy friends and thats all we are. We hang out all the time and are really good friends. And in Alicante,is it weird for people to be queer? Because here, it's very acceptable, which is awesome, but in Alicante, it might not be, and they seem very proper there, and somewhat snobby, so if it is weird to be queer, then someone might have a difficult time. Also, I almost never wear heels in public, I tend to stick with my oxfords, so I probably would have a hard time in Alicante.
    Lili

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? People don't socialize together as much as americans do? I really didn't know that I thought people of there were social people but I guess not. I guess you could say that Portland is a more social city then Alicante is. Well that's from my point of view.
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahahahahhahah thats funny....and interesting


    -william

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to live in Mexico and it is a lot like that. A challenge I had when I moved here was that girls played sports and played kickball and foursquare(I had never heard about those to games until I came here!) Someone might have a difficult time getting used to that. What people here consider girly there it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jordan,
    It is very interesting to hear all about the differences between Spain and America. I think that other challenges that people might find are adapting to the different foods and different customs between men and women. I hope you are having fun!
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. well most guy are very very macho muchachos so i understand thatstuff

    helazo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What challenges I would think people form America might have is the total change of environment. People might want to talk to people like they do at home and do their daily routines but find that they get a very different opinion from the people around them.

    -Muriah

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH BOY WOULD I LOVE TO GO THERE AND PARTY WHEN FINISHED WITH HOMEWORK! IT WOULD BE SOO MUCH FUN TO GO THERE AND HAVE A BUNCH OF FOOD EVERY NIGHT AND PARTY. BOY O BOY ARE YOU LUCKY!
    tANNER

    ReplyDelete
  10. THAT WAS A FUNNY STORRY AND I WISH I COULD OF BEN THERE HAVING FUN LIKE YOU BUT I HAVE TO MUCH HOMEWORK LIKE YOU .
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete