Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pero...es tu novio!?

Qué tal chic@s?!

I loved reading your responses to my previous post. Pretty funny stuff huh? I think I gave some of you the impression that Spaniards are antisocial. This is DEFINITELY not the case. People are constantly littering the streets sitting outside cafes, walking the boardwalk, shopping, or just hanging out in parks. While the sexes remain fairly segregated, everyone is out and about.

The other night I was skyping with my bestfriend Mark. My sister came in my room to borrow some clothes and decided to say hi. He jokingly referred to himself as my "novio", using one of the very few spanish words he knows. She giggled and went on her way. Later she started asking me about my "novio" and I explained to her that he was my bestfriend and definitely not my boyfriend. She didn't understand. She insisted that I had feelings for him, why else would I be skyping with some boy? After explaining again that we had always been just friends she started asking questions about our relationship. She still had it set in her mind that one day we were going to get married. Finally I had to break it to her, Mark is gay. While this opened up a whole other set of questions, I think she understood that it is possible for the two sexes to share meaningful, loving, platonic relationships.

Lili, you bring up a very good point. Living in Portland we see the LGBTQ population represented publically. That is not the case here. I have met a lot of people here but I haven't met any homosexuals. The only reference to homosexuality I've seen has had a very negative connotation. Sometimes, when definding their masculinity, boys will call eachother deragatory names meaning homosexual. Even on TV you can see jokes being made about homosexuality. It is interesting to me because Spain, especially with the upcoming election, is very involved and vocal in various social movements that bring "power to the voiceless." However, none of these movements pertains to homosexuality. This is a huge difference between Portland and Alicante.

I'm off to Valencia this weekend! I'm excited to travel a bit because its been a while since I've been out of Alicante. I'll be visiting some great museums and even an aquarium! I'll be interested to see how different it is from the Oregon coast aquarium. Vamos a ver!

Hasta Luego!

10 comments:

  1. Hola Jordan

    Me gusto tu historia estaba muy chistosa que cosas no que confundan a tu mejor amigo como tu novio jajajaja bueno me paresio muy interensante.

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. tu historia esta muy chistoso


    -william

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi jordan
    Your story seems really funny and interesting too.
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jordan,
    It's very interesting how different two cities on one planet can be. Your story is very funny and I hope that Spain can learn to be as excepting as Portland.
    -Leilani

    Hola Jordan,
    Es muy interesante ver cómo dos ciudades pueden ser diferentes cuando estan en un planeta. Su historia es muy divertida y espero que España puede aprender a ser más como Portland.
    -Leilani

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola jordan
    Tu historia parece muy chistosa y interesante tambien.
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. puedo ver como paso que confudieron tu mejor amigo con tu novio. cuando viví en mexico nuca vi a un niño y una niña juntos si no eran novios. Aquí es muy diferente en que niñas y niños juegan juntos y son amigos y no"novios"
    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well its good that she understood hes not your boyfriend and hes gay. i have 2 moms so i know what its like because we have a lot of gay friends and i go to some events with gay people.
    Tanner

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jordan,
    It is very interesting that your sister thought he was your boyfriend just because you were talking to him. It is amazing how different two cities can be.
    -Jessica

    Hola Jordan,
    Es muy interesante que su hermana pensó que era su novio sólo porque fueron a hablar con él. Es asombroso cómo dos ciudades diferentes se puede.
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hola Jordan!!!
    es lili, y eso es mi segunda dia despues de un semana sin escuela. para dia de acion de gracias, tenian una semana con no escuela!!! y es chistoso com su amiga piensa que tu amigo fue tu novio. yo tenian dias como eso cuando personas piensan que un amigo de yo es mi novio. es awkward!!!!
    adios!!! lili

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your story, its very funny. We are very different from the people who live there. I wonder what the people in Alicante will think of us if they come and visit.
    It would be interesting to compare the museums. Im sure they have different information. Do they have a dinosaur exhibit? Those are always my favorite.

    Me encanta su historia, es muy divertido. Estamos muy diferente de la gente que vive allí. Me pregunto lo que la gente de Alicante va a pensar de nosotros si vienen a visitarnos.
    Sería interesante comparar los museos. Estoy seguro de que tiene información diferente. ¿Tienen una exhibición de dinosaurios? Esos son siempre mi favorito.

    -Muriah

    ReplyDelete